5.10.2012

guide to montreal: zumba at bamboofit

Nothing applies directly to my life quite like the wisdom of the ancient Latin saying "mens sana in corpore sano" or "sound mind in a healthy body". I would lie if I said that I did not care about my body image, but more than just keeping the poundage at bay, exercise for me is a way of managing my stress levels.

As a kid I was not particularly directed towards sports even if my dad was an athlete and a physical education teacher. He used to say that I was an anti-talent for sport. Later in life I realized that this had little to do with me, and more to do with the Balkan culture of encouraging athleticism only in those with Olympian ambitions. Sport as a means of simply maintaining a healthy lifestyle was not employed. 

As a result, it is only after I came to Canada that I discovered fitness for the masses. Over time, I have engaged in many forms of exercise. For a period I loved step aerobics, then I moved on TAE BO (and kick boxing). I trained and ran a half-marathon. And then I discovered Zumba. 

Zumba is a Latin dance-inspired fitness program created by dancer and choreographer Alberto "Beto" Perez in Colombia during the 1990s. The story has it that Beto was an aerobics teacher when he forgot to bring the music to one of his classes. Forced to improvise, Beto used one of his Latin music tapes  and incorporated various Latin dance moves into his routine. People loved it, he developed the whole concept, Oprah heard about it, and as with all things that Oprah endorses, Zumba exploded globally.

The thing I love about Zumba is that you get an incredible work out without feeling like you are working out. Rather, it is like a dance party. The Latin sounds and moves are so uplifting they are bound, not only to lift your butt, but also your mood. 

One thing that has to be said though, is the importance of having a quality teacher. So, if you live in Montreal, and are interested in Zumba I strongly suggest you check out Bamboofit. Bambofit was founded by two talented young women, Laura and Lina Barreto. Originally from Colombia, the two sisters have danced their whole life. So it comes as no surprise that they were the first to bring Zumba to Montreal. Bamboofit offers daily classes inside Cat's Corner Dance Studio on 3451 St Laurent Blvd, and Chinese Community Center on 1088 Clark St. The membership is very flexible and transferable so that you can share it with a friend. These days they have a promotion (pay for 15 classes get 20). 

If you are looking to work out and also have a great time I strongly suggest you give Zumba and Bamboofit a try.

xoxo
DKMTL









6 comments:

  1. Allo Danina,

    Happy that i got a comment from you! It is hard sometimes to get in touch with Montreal's blogger - I would like to do a feature on you-
    I love your style, very montreal - i so far did a feature on a Vancouver Lady - and a Lady from London, Ontario Lady and they had a very positive feedback - So i would love to do a feature on a stylish Montreal Lady - Let me know - Here is my e-mail - lasalleariane@hotmail.com

    Merci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Zumba! I even have the Wii game at home. It's a great workout but makes you feel so darn good afterwards.

    itsmytaste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Corie. I also have Xbox Kinnect game which I use at home.

      Delete
  3. Zumba... !! I love your first photo, its amazing. How about follow each other ? I am following you now hope you will follow me back.

    BTW check my latest post, great deal for gorgeous bag the sale ends on 3 days.xoxo

    Minnie
    http://minnieonfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Great to have you as a follower, and happy to follow back.

      Delete
  4. Love this post! I am going to check out bamboofit tomorrow...can't wait! :)
    natalielovesbeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
Fashionable in Montreal by Danina Kapetanovic is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at fashionable-in-mtl.blogspot.com.