6.06.2012

parlez-vous fashion?

Have you ever noticed walking down the street, all dressed up, that there seems to be a silent form of conversation between you and passers by. You exchange (dis)approving glances, you notice that up-and-down glare, you feel the gaze zoom on a particular item. And all of it has a meaning which you tacitly understand. Fashion, much like language, is a fascinating form of expression. Possibly even in the Chomskyan sense. Here's why:

Much like words, articles of clothing are assigned arbitrary meaning that we all agree on. So for example, a certain type of white gown is seen in many cultures as wedding attire and wearing it on any other occasion would be considered inappropriate. There appears to be a "grammar" governing how we can combine them. Tracksuit pants with sneakers mean something different from tracksuit pants with high heels. The meaning can also change depending on context. Jeans worn on a night out mean something different than jeans worn in the workplace.  Different cultures assign vastly different arbitrary meanings to clothing. While white clothing is suitable for weddings in the West, in certain Eastern cultures it is reserved for funerals. Finally, rules change over time - a century ago it was inconceivable that a woman could wear pants, while today it is an every day occurrence. 

This would in turn suggest that, whether you consider yourself to be fashionably inclined or not, what you wear communicates something about you. For some that message might be “I care so little I would be happiest in pj's", and for others "I love fashion so much I could wear heels to bed". Regardless of what your message is, it should be equally acceptable and free of judgement. So if you happen to care about fashion as much as you care about yesteryear's snow that is fine with me. What is absolutely not fine is being judged as shallow just because I do.

xoxo
DKMTL






shirt: J Crew
skirt: BCBG
bag: ASOS
shoes: ALDO
necklace: Mango
bracelet: Banana Republic

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it amazing what a nude wedge can do for your gams?

      Delete
  2. great post, Danina! thank you. You look gorgeous as always. xox

    btw I read a book recently that I think you would enjoy: "The Thoughtful Dresser: The Art of Adornment, the Pleasures of Shopping, and Why Clothes Matter" by Linda Grant. if you can wait until next time I'm in Montreal, I'll lend it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanesica! I will definitely look it up. make sure you call me when you come next.

      Delete
  3. The bag is so gorgeous! You look fantastic!
    http://violetcatstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you mixed these prints together is amazing!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting, totally agree!...I just found your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bri! Great to have a new follower, and hope you'll come back. xoxoD

      Delete
  6. I love your skirt! & i agree with what you were saying about the meaning of clothes. I actually just published a blog post yesterday on "why I wear heels", an open letter to all the people that seemed to have an issue with my wearing heels in casual situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I checked out you post. Good on you!. xoxoD

      Delete
  7. I seriously love that bag!! I sweat it's one I was going to get from ASOS but when I went back to get it, it was sold out! Love it.

    I think the way you dress Can communicate a lot (whether you want it too or not), your personal style is a glimpse into your personality, your socio-economic status, how you perceive yourself etc... But then again there are people who just don't care about style and you'd get nothing from their outfit other than they don't care about fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! I got it in time thanks to Stockholm Streetstyle. She did a post about it and as soon as I saw it I swear I went to ASOS so fast, I left smoke contrails all over the internets.

      To your second point, I concur. The point here it to say that whatever you message might be you should't be judged for it. Because while clothes provide you with a channel to express yourself, they shouldn't be used as a fodder for personal judgment i.e. I care about fashion therefore I somehow must be shallow and incompetent. Likewise if you are someone who doesn't care about fashion, that shouldn't indicate to people that you are careless as a person. Thank you for stopping by, I hope I have intrigued you to come back. xoxoD

      Delete
  8. A very nice combination….you put pieces together well and accessorized it with a distinguished taste….. Love the skirt and shoes!!!!!! Aida

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
Fashionable in Montreal by Danina Kapetanovic is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at fashionable-in-mtl.blogspot.com.